Friday, March 2, 2012

Pompidou!

I had a wonderful morning of sleeping in -- complete with really odd dreams! But I slept until about 10 am none the less. It was great after basically getting up before 8 every morning this week.

It turned out that yesterday my class was cancelled -- the class that was technically the reason that I came back from vacation when I did. I was there aroung 8:15 ready to go -- and some more students sort of stumbled in over the next 15 minutes -- there was still no professor. Finally, one of the girls went down to the main office to ask where the professor was, and we found out that she wasn't coming! Sort of good news, bad news I suppose. Instead of just going home, Nick and I walked to the Musee de Cluny to visit the Musee du Moyen Age! It didn't open un 9:15, and so we walked to a boulangerie where Nick got an almond croissant.

We got into the museum for free (as with most of the museums in Paris), and we spent about an hour wandering through! It was filled with lots of carvings, stained glass windows, woodwork -- all very cool but after a while it all sort of started to look the same.

After the museum visit, I went home to cook up some vegetables for my lunch with Louisa! We had a lovely lunch here at home -- fresh multigrain baguette, hummus, roasted tomatoes, zucchini, corn, and cauliflower! Absolutely delicious food -- and not to mention wonderful company!

Today, my cultural activity was the Centre Pompidou! Something that I should have done long ago. It's a pretty intimidating place I have to say -- for how large the building is, the collection only takes up 2 of the 6 (?) floors. I really don't understand modern art. Well, I sort of understand the modern art -- it's the contemporary art that is really confusing. I wouldn't even know where to begin to describe the pieces in this museum. Everything from Matisse, Modigliani, Picasso, to pieces of canvas painted in a solid color. Very interesting what some people consider to be "art".

One of my favorite things about going to the Pompidou is the view of Paris from the top. It's absolutely breathtaking. There are look outs on every direction of the city -- and because the museum is covered in glass -- the view is great!

Here are some pictures -- the first is of my chat favori -- who decided to climb into my suitcase last night as I was unpacking, then one of the views from the Pompidou, and the Pompidou itself!




A bientot!

1 comment: