Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Je peux sentir l'hiver dans l'air!

Sorry for the sporatic entries -- I've been sick and then being in London and all kind of threw me off a bit! Going to try and get back to writing more regularly (hopefully).

So the rest of the weekend in London was pretty lowkey -- in a very good way! But between me being sick, and it just being the weekend, we hung around a bunch! Saturday, we went to this wonderful restaurant called The Modern Pantry for brunch. We walked in and asked for a table and the hostess said that it was our lucky day because a party of 3 had just cancelled its reservation! I had a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice in hopes of it helping my cold (but it was also just delicious), and then for brunch, I ordered scrambled eggs with smoked bacon, roasted tomatoes, and buttered mushrooms (which were pretty much just as they sound), and toast! It was extremely tasty -- as was Marion's risotto which had butternut squash, some type of pesto (it wasn't basil), and topped with a piece of mozzarella in a pastry filling. Al had the croissant French toast, which also looked pretty good!

From there, we went for a walk over towards where Al's old flat is and then ended up taking a cab back to his current apartment. Marion and I went out to Waitrose and Marks & Spencer (grocery stores) to get some fixings for dinner -- some chicken noodle soup for me, and some cheese and crackers for Marion (and me, too). So we stayed in and watched some British tv and a movie while Al and Kerstin went out (they had already made plans).

Sunday -- Marion and I watched the Remberance Day parade on tv and I went out to get some raw materials for brunch -- which turned out to be French toast and some sausages from the market up the road. Pretty good! We got a slow start to the day, and then around 3, we headed out for a walk -- it was beautiful out -- and walked by the Cenataph and over to Buckingham Palace and then back! I ate a quick pasta dinner, and then around 7:30, Al and Marion walked me to the train station to come back to Paris.

The only eventful (somewhat) thing that I can think of from yesterday was that my practice's location was changed last minute to the pool at Montparnasse -- which actually worked out because I was already at Reid Hall, so it was only about a 12 minute walk -- the only difficulty was actually finding the pool once I got there...which took a few minutes. I was a little late, which wasn't a big deal, but my group was practicing with the masters' group in the "far pool" and with one of the other coaches. Well, it turns out that the pool we practiced in wasn't 50 meters, or 25 meters, or even 25 yards, but it was 33 meters! Of course! So instead of 50s, we did 66s, and 133s instead of 100s, and then 200s worked out...but it surely was an interesting experience.

Today, I really noticed the first winter-ish chill in the air! I walked to the pool this morning, and for the first time, I really thought it was chilly! I swam until about 8:15 (because when the pool's director is there, everyone has to be out by then), and then took the metro to my class at Institut Catholique. Today's class was only two hours -- a bit more confusing than last time, but I think I was understanding more than some other people. It's been pretty funny to watch the size of the class dwindle as the semester goes on...I did meet someone new today though! Her name is Clemence -- and she speaks practically perfect English because she lived in LA for 4 years during middle school.  Segolene, who was sitting next to me, had asked her to translate something into English for me, and so we got to talking! I always feel so accomplished when I meet "real" French people!

After class, I came back home (after for the first time getting on the metro going the wrong direction...whoops. Luckily I wasn't in a hurry. Oh, and the best part to that was that I didn't even realize it until 3 stops later...) to drop of my swim things and eat some lunch with Marilu. We also went down to the "cave" to get my winter coats! I felt it was an appropriate time to be getting them out...

I had my France/Afrique class and then went to the "foyer" at Institut Catholique to do some work -- basically, it's this random staircase in the middle of the courtyard which leads down to this room with some vending machines and a bunch of lime green tables and chairs where people do work. Just before 6, I went up to my Economics of Development class which went until 8.

Dinner was quite yummy tonight and practically waiting as I walked in the door! Marilu made this stew with salmon, broccoli, and onions and then she heated up some rice with that! And then she had made some homemade applesauce for dessert. My favorite!

Alrighty, to bed in hopes of getting better soon! Sorry for lack of pictures, too. I'll try to get back on track with that tomorrow with my architecture visit...

A bientot! (for real this time)

No comments:

Post a Comment