Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Ou est la Tour Eiffel? Et oh mon dieu! L'Opera Garnier est magnifique...

After a glorious 11 hours of sleep last night, I woke up to my alarm which went off at 9:02am -- I hate setting it for "normal" times. I had a nice breakfast alone -- and while I was fixing it, I looked out the kitchen window, and the Eiffel Tower wasn't there! (Seriously.) I kept craning my neck around, which seemed odd because I hadn't remembered it being that far out the window. Well, it wasn't. It was just so foggy that I could only barely see it! It was crazy.

For my architecture visit today, we met again at Opera -- and luckily, this time it was open! All I have to say is that it's DEFINITELY worth seeing -- whether by just going on a tour or seeing an actual show (typically opera or ballet). It's an absolutely incredible building. A bit over the top, but incredible none the less. Since I got there a bit early, I walked around it and found on the back side the "Galeries LaFayette" which was covered in white lights for Christmas. I decided to wander through -- which again, was incredible. It's basically one big open store but with lots of little stands and boutiques in it -- Longchamp, Chanel, Hermes, etc. You can bet if it's expensive -- it's probably there. They too were set up for the Christmas season with an enormous tree in the center of the mall (picture to follow) and window decorations (mostly aimed towards kids, but entertaining none the less).

After the Opera visit, I headed home to have some lunch -- it was pretty chilly again today, so I was craving something warm. I ended up reheating some of the mushroom risotto and salmon stew from last night which certainly hit the spot!

I swam this afternoon and was finally feeling a bit better in the water which was nice. It's been odd to have the weather change so quickly from being a bit brisk to being really quite cold (by Parisian standards I suppose...but still). I came home from practice and had a bit of hot chocolate (since chocolate milk is such a great recovery food!) and am currently trying to start my architecture paper...which is due Monday, and seeing as I don't have any other work to do for this week, there's really no reason why I shouldn't get started on it now....

Finally, some pictures! I am SO SORRY that I didn't post this first one earlier! This was the wonderful package that I received last Thursday from my AMAZING Aunt Jen. And yes, it is what you think it is -- brown sugar and chocolate chips. Is she the best or what!


And here's the Christmas tree in the center of the Galeries LaFayette -- I'm assuming that this year's theme is "Rock'N Mode" -- or something along the lines of "rockin' fashion"....The building itself is also pretty impressive.


This is the chandelier and ceiling of the Opera -- which doesn't nearly do it justice, but you can get some kind of idea...


And since I already know that I'm having quiche for dinner, I don't have to wait until after to write about it because I know it will be suberb! Ham and cheese! Yum! And I believe there's still some homemade applesauce lying around....:)

A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment