Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Fatiguee...

Ok, I'll admit that I'm not in the most stellar mood as I sit down to write tonight. It's just been a stressful few days, and I've found it difficult to de-stress myself.

Yesterday, I had my architecture final -- which I suppose I should just be happy that I'm done with that class! It wasn't that bad, just lots of dates, names, buildings, years, etc. Lots to retain in my tiny little brain. Just after that class, I had to meet Martine in front of the Pantheon to go meet an economics professor who teaches at a private school called FACO -- a smaller university in Paris. We discussed certain courses that I might be able to take next semester to fulfill my economics credit requirement...but he was pretty intimidating. I also had a paper due for my theater class which I foolishly didn't revise until the last minute, and as a result, I didn't really get a chance to revise the whole thing...lesson learned! But both were steps closer to Christmas break and to the end of the first semester. Crazy.

Today was a fairly normal Tuesday -- well, kind of. Normal in that it was my "busy" day. I swam from 7 to 8:30 this morning which was pretty difficult. My coach has started to give me sets like 6x200s backstroke, holding a fairly quick pace -- and then only giving me 15-20 seconds rest. So for example, this morning he wanted me to hold a 2:50 pace, and had me going on the 3:10 -- which to put into yard terms -- holding about a 2:25 and then leaving on the 2:45. Backstroke.

After that, I ate my yogurt as I walked to the metro station and took the 12 line to Rennes and then walked to Institut Catholique. Of course, because today's class was technically a make-up class, it was not in the normal classroom -- and I could only find that out minutes before class was to begin by looking at the big television screen in the entrance which shows all of the classes happening on campus at that moment, who's teaching it, and where it's being held. I saw that it was in B27 today -- luckily, it was in the same building, just up two floors and through a Harry Potter-type maze. But I found it! My professor also offered me the choice of writing a final paper instead of taking the final oral exam....and I happily chose the former.

I came home to drop off my swim stuff and to have some lunch with Marilu before heading off to my medical exam appointment which is a requirement because I'm here with a long-term stay visa. Just about all of the students from my program had the same appointment time(s), and after taking the bus across the city, I finally found this building where I was greeted by burly security guards who asked me why I was there. I made my way up to the first floor and found the waiting room overly full with people from just about every ethnicity you could imagine...and then the long line of Hamilton kids out the door.

We ended up being there abour 2.5 hours in all. Or I was there for about 2.5 hours. After the first waiting room, we were called into a second waiting room where we were called individually to get our eyes tested (20/20 vision! I don't think the nurse believed me when I said I didn't wear glasses...), height and weight taken, etc. Then it was back to the waiting room. And then it was in to take a chest xray (WHICH, I do indeed have with me now -- just in case you were wondering. I'm sure I could arrange to have some copies made if you're looking for a creative piece of art to give as a Christmas present). After the chest xray, back to the waiting room, and then finally, I was called in by one of the doctors to ask me general health questions....and then after that, I had to wait AGAIN to be called to hand in some paperwork and proof that I had paid the 55 euro fee online. It was exhausting.

From there, Emily Heckman and I took the metro back to Institut Catholique for our last Economie du Developpement class -- which I could have sworn lasted about 7 hours (although it was only 2). I dined alone this evening as Marilu and Alain were out at a friend's house. I made myself a piece of chicken, and then finished up some leftover corn and green beans. Seemed like quite the summer meal....

ANYWAYS, Christmas seems to be in full swing here which is always nice to see. Here are some more Christmas pics -- the trees being put up in front of the Pantheon yesterday, and then the decorations on the tree in the courtyard at Institut Catholique!



Bon nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment