Friday, February 3, 2012

BRRRRRRR!

You'll notice that the last Brrr title wasn't in all caps -- but this one definitely is!! This morning when I left for swimming, my thermometer read 16 degrees (Fahrenheit) -- and I regret to say that the warmer Parisian weather has without a doubt heightened my sensitivity to the cold....Paris has been bundled up like I've never seen before -- and I have been doing the same!

The past few days continued my first week of classes -- Wednesday, I had my class at La Sorbonne again, which I thought went really well. We continued our French history lesson of the 16th century, and then started to analyze the part of Ronsard's Discours that we had read. I continue to really enjoy the professor -- it's again, somewhat of a story time. There were a few students that hadn't been there the day before -- most of whom were sitting behind me. About halfway through the class, I looked behind me, and two of them were passed out (sleeping) on the desk with their heads on top of a sprawling arm. It was hysterical. One of the girls even had a sweatshirt rolled up under her head as a pillow. Too funny.

Wednesday afternoon, I had my "cours magistral" at Catho for the Geography of the EU course -- again, people talked throughout the entire class. I thought the professor was going to blow. It was interesting, as much as I could hear, that is -- and the professor had a projector to show us pictures of different European countries and their landscapes.

Thursday, I had my first class at FACO -- which is a private university that focuses on economics and social sciences. Nick, my friend from Hamilton, and I arrived a few minutes before class was to begin at 8, and we found the room that the schedule had listed. We sat there for about 20 minutes before anyone came in. We thought for quite some time that we were in the wrong place. It turns out we were in the wrong place -- but just that a number of the other students were too! There were only about 10 students in the class, which is quite refreshing, and they couldn't have been nicer! They were all so friendly with us and wanted to know more about where we were from and one even asked Nick's help on her expose in English! It was a great experience -- the class is Histoire Economique, and so we covered a lot of the economic theories that coincided with the English Industrial Revolution.

I feel like I didn't have much class this week -- but at the same time, I felt exhausted by the end! I think it was the constant uncertainty and always being a little wary of what's going on -- the only thing that was so much better than the first semester was how much easier it was to understand everything! And at least, I knew where I was going (mostly)!

I'm off to bed early tonight after a day of "relaxing" -- with the cold weather and a swim meet this weekend, I didn't want to risk catching cold and getting sick or worn out. As much as I've been going to practice, I'd like to at least see how well I can do! It's one of the "Meeting Nationaux" -- so it should be quite a bit more competitve than the other ones I've been to! So we'll see!

Other than the little bit of "homework" I've had -- I've been trying to arrange my travel schedule for the spring, which has been stressful! As I told my parents, you know when you're trying to sleep and you imagine yourself on a raft floating on the ocean all nice and peaceful? Well now if I try to imagine that -- I say to myself, "well how much did I pay for the flight to get here? Where am I staying? Does it include breakfast?" -- I guess it's a sad sign when my top go-to website is edreams.fr (like Travelocity for les francais).......Oops! But hopefully, it will lead to lots of fun adventures this spring! In particular, two VERY exciting ones with each of my parents -- which I'm thrilled about.

Here are two pictures from last weekend in the country which I rather liked (and hopefully didn't put in before -- and if so, oh well!)



A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment