Monday, February 20, 2012

Un petit aventure a l'hopital, Les Descendants, et le soleil!

Well, now that we've begun a new week, I guess it's time to recount my little adventure with the French medical system! Because no abroad experience would be complete without a ride in the ambulance and a lovely evening in the Urgences!

Thursday night, I went to practice as usual...and about half way through, I had a little collision with Jean-Nicolas as we were both swimming backstroke in opposite directions -- he was sprinting, I was not. And we collided head first. He's fine -- and has a really hard head, and I sort of blacked out and then started falling asleep as I was swimming. It was pretty odd! I swam about another 400 meters, and then I decided it was probably best to get out of the water. Matthieu, my coach, helped me up and I went to lie down -- still feeling pretty off. Against my wishes, Matthieu called the ambulance who came and I got the whole neckbrace and put on a stretcher -- and then of course they were obligated to take me to the hospital....yippee.

So off I went in the ambulence with the paramedics -- Matthieu followed behind on his scooter and met us there. I'd say I was there for about 4 or 4.5 hours overall. The took me back, I had my neck xrayed just to be sure, and then they determined that it was just a concussion! And they gave me a prescription for painkillers (which aren't that helpful) and another to help with my nausea -- and then I ended up taking a taxi home around 1am. Fun, right?! Gotta keep life interesting.

That night I got to sleep with the neck brace that they gave me to take home -- so uncomfortable, but I finally got some sleep. Pretty much all day Friday and Saturday, I stayed home and made my way through the tv show Lie to Me -- along with keeping up with all the swimming results from the weekend! Which definitely kept me busy. Pastel kept me company on my couch and shared lots of fur -- he's so thoughtful.

Saturday, I took a little walk with Marilu, and then yesterday I started to get out a bit more. I had lunch at La Gitane, which is a restaurant down the street, with my friends Mimi and Kate -- really delicious onion soup! And then last night, John and Tia, who I know through swimming, invited me to go see The Descendants with them and then we went out for a Cambodian dinner. I really enjoyed the movie -- lots to think about. And dinner, of course, was delicious as well. It was a wonderful evening.

Today, I got up early and went to the medical clinic that's near Institut Catholique -- it, surprisingly, only took an hour or so for them to see me. The doctor said that all was fine, and that there's no problem with me traveling on Wednesday, and that in a week or two I can even try to swim! Just not pushing it...I had my two Monday classes as usual. My Catho class was just the professor handing back exams from last semester (which I didn't take) -- and then explaining the grading, and then finally reading out all of their grades from the fall semester. Talk about embarassing....But it was a beautiful day -- sunny and almost warm! Definitely starting to feel like spring -- of course, now that I say that, I'm sure we'll get another cold streak....

Here's a picture from the country a few weeks ago -- I just thought that the sky looked pretty cool!



Well I'm off to bed -- I've been pretty wiped out! But feeling better every day, and hopefully, that will just continue.

A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment