Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Attendez -- IT'S THE END OF JANUARY?!

So seeing on the calendar that today is the 25th of January kind of made me freak out a bit -- HOW HAS IT ALREADY BEEN A MONTH SINCE CHRISTMAS?! This is crazy.

I FINALLY finished all of my work for the first semester. I had this one last paper to get out of the way, and I dropped it off today at the secretary's office at Institut Catholique -- and ta daa! Finally on to the second semester.

I had my first class of the second semester on Monday -- the History of the European Union -- which is at the Middlebury center near Madeleine. This sounds a bit silly -- but it was odd to have a woman as a professor after last semester when all of my professors were men (well, except for the Mexican one...but that doesn't really count). But she's really wonderful, and clearly she knows a lot about the history of the EU which is what counts! I found out that the other class I was supposed to have tomorrow was cancelled, and so I'll start that one next week along with all the rest.

This morning, I went to the Louvre with a bunch of people from my program. Mme Palmer (the art history professor for the Hamilton program) was nice enough to spend some time with us there, and she gave us quite a bit of background! Unfortunately, we had some issues with the tickets, so we only had about an hour instead of a full hour and a half. Martine stayed after with me and the other Emily, and we went to go take a look at all of the Egyptian antiquities -- of which there are TONS. Definitely requires a trip back to see them all.

After that, I went to Reid Hall to print the paper and took it to Catho. From there, I took the metro up to the library near Porte de Clignancourt which was where I had gotten the book I used for my paper -- not the most convenient location, but the book has been returned! I was on a hunt for some stationery after that -- and Martine suggested that I check out Le Bon Marche near the metro Sevres Babylone. It's this enormous high-end department store -- which will again, requre a trip back -- but everything was beautiful. I made my way to the second floor "paperterie" section which made me feel like I was in HEAVEN. Goodness. Everything was incredible -- and also incredibly expensive. I found some nice embossed note cards with an E on them which were perfect -- and somewhat reasonably priced!

Other than that, things have been relatively quiet -- I've been swimming at La Plaine which is a pool over by Porte de Versailles. It's actually a pretty good facility. It's 25 meters and surrounded by palm trees which is a bit odd. It feels like I'm swimming in the jungle -- but next to the highway? It's an interesting setup.

Alrighty -- it's bedtime for me! Here's a picture of Pastel the other day when we actually got himself underneath a stack of blankets, and then one of the Louvre this morning. Who knew that the Louvre pyramids had their own cleaning thingies.....



A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment