Friday, January 13, 2012

Les "Au Revoirs" sont toujours difficiles.

So I had to say goodbye to one of my good friends who's been here for the first semester -- Alex. He's been my fellow Amherst buddy in the Hamilton program, and it's been fantastic getting to know him. He hadn't been to L'As de Falafel -- a well-known falafel restaurant in the Marais district, so I said of course we should head there (leaving aside that I've eaten there once before and found out that I am not a huge fan of falafel...).

Anyways, this was after I had my little library adventure of the morning. I went to Institut Catholique this morning to check out a book that my professor suggested as a reference for my economics paper -- "Rationalite et Liberte en Economie" by Amartya Sen. Well, of course, the only copy in the Institut Catholique was checked out and not due until the middle of February. How helpful, right? Well, thanks to my iPad, I was able to look up where in the Paris library system I might be able to find this resource. Luckily or unluckily, there was one copy of it (in the ENTIRE PARIS LIBRARY SYSTEM) -- all the way up north of Paris in the 18th, near Porte de Clignancort. I grabbed the metro and took it up to the library -- spent about 3 minutes (if that) getting the book, and checking it out, and then took the metro back to Saint Paul to meet Alex.

We went to L'As de Falafel -- really just at the right time because we were able to sit right down (which is rare). Alex ordered the Falafel Special and I ordered the pita with chicken and veggies, which was absolutely delicious! After lunch, we took a nice stroll down to Angelina's (aka the home of the best hot chocolate EVER) -- which was the parting man's last request. I figured I could splurge given the special occasion. We each got a small cup to go -- a mere 4,20 euros (compared to the 6,50 or so if you were to sit there an drink it), and we went to sit in the sun in the Jardins des Tuileries by the fountain.

It was a lovely afternoon, and when we started to get cold, we began walking towards my house past Les Invalides and the Champs de Mars. Quite the ideallic Parisian stroll!

After I got home, I headed off to the pool -- Piscine Keller again because there's some big problem at our normal pool that they have yet to fix. Apparently, it could be a number of weeks...ugh. I did a little warm up and then Mehdi showed up and so we did the set that our coach had emailed to us. Not too bad, but it's always a bummer to have to fight past recreational swimmers -- it wasn't long before I felt like we had thoroughly annoyed every person in our lane....

I came home to quite the lively household with the twins (they're 4 year old granddaughters) here! They literally do not stop moving for a second, and after painting mugs, watching cartoons, playing with Grandpa, a bath and playing with Nyanya (I don't know how to spell it, but that's how Marilu says it), they still had enough energy to talk non stop through dinner. Seriously. Non. Stop. I think they successfully exhausted all 4 of us by the end of dinner.

That's about it for today! Being done with classes has given me a bit of time to reflect and think about my time in Paris. I've become quite fond of people watching -- especially since I'm in such a prime place to do it! More on that later....

I'll leave you with some artsy photos -- both from the Abbey at the top of Mont Saint Michel:



A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment