Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Breakfast in America, un peu malade, les examens finaux, etc.

So I love how I become most insistent about writing when I things I need to do -- like study for my final exam tomorrow. It is my last one (thank goodness) which gives me both motivation and lack there of.

I've been a bit under the weather the past few days (I blame my family for wearing me out! -- just kidding...sort of), so not too much has happened. Saturday was fairly laid back -- I slept in and then "studied" and Marilu showed me where the cordonnier was so that I could get my cowboy boots resoled (yippee), so I dropped them off and now I just have to figure out when I can get back there to pick them up! We also browsed in some of the stores because the big SALES start tomorrow -- apparently, they're a really big deal. Like EVERYTHING goes on super sale tomorrow. I envision Paris becoming like one big Black Friday mob -- but no one seems to think it's that bad, so I guess I'll see.

I watched the Amherst/Williams men's meet on Saturday night, too, which was quite exciting! Made me wish I was there! But I'm glad they won -- great meet to watch.

Sunday morning, I met my friend Mimi at the restaurant Breakfast in America in the 5th -- there are actually two locations, the other one being in the Marais district. It's a cute little place, and as advertised, it really does have American breakfasts that are served all day long. There are also burgers and such, but the breakfast is the main attraction I believe. It was difficult to choose, but I saw the home fries on someone elses plate and that made my decision for me. So for about 9 euros, I got an egg-white omelette filled with ham and cheddar cheese, two pieces of toast, and a mound of delicious home fries. Not too bad! It wasn't gourmet, but it was definitely comfort food. What Mimi and I both found entertaining, was that they offer a "Formule" which is a very French thing where you pay one price and then get multiple courses. So in the "Formule" at Breakfast in America, you can start with an omelette (plus all the sides), and then get a second course of a full stack of pancakes (which are actually quite small, but still). I barely finished what was on my plate, as did Mimi, and we both sat there watching the ladies next to us lick their plates clean on both courses....no wonder they think Americans are enormous.

Yesterday,  I helped my friend Louisa move from her old host family in the 8th arr. to her new host mother's apartment in the 5th! Very fun and near death experience as we trekked across Paris in a cab that Hamilton had sent -- my first time in a Parisian cab! What an experience. If you don't like a little thrill in life, I suggest taking the metro. Or walking.

Marilu made a delicious galette des roi on Sunday which is traditional around this time of year. It's sheets of pastry filled with an almond paste, and then somewhere in the middle is a little china figurine and whoever finds it is the "king" or "queen" for the day. Since we ate about a third of the cake, no one was king or queen, but when I had a little piece yesterday, I found the little china queen inside!

Anyways, I should get to studying my theater -- even though he said that if we came to class all semester we wouldn't need to study....Here are two pictures -- one of my brunch at Breakfast in America (actually, it's Mimi's plate...her's was prettier!), and Pastel in my little armoir....he continues to be quite the little comedian....



A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment