Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Hier, Parce-que j'ai l'internet encore!

Finalement, une équipe de la natation!
Sorry, still without internet today (Tuesday), so I’m writing with the anticipation of posting this tomorrow. Again, started my day off with a nice run – went across the river and ran along side on the “rive droite” for a while and then ended up getting a little lost and so I ran a little farther than anticipated. Oh well!
I got ready for the day, and then around noon, I headed off to the St. Germain des Pres metro station to meet Mimi Bell (Amherst ’11) for lunch! We found a crèperie that she had eaten at before, and they had a reasonable prix fixe menu, so we decided to eat there! We both started with a “Salade Parisienne” which was lettuce, tomatoes, and then chopped up ham and cheese on top with a light dressing! Pretty delicious. For my “plat” course (here, “entrée” is what we call an appetizer, and “plat” is what we call an “entrée” – gets kind of confusing),  I had a crêpe with chicken and cheese (tasted like gruyère). Very yummy! Crispy on the outside, and a sweet and salty combination. Delicious.
From there, I started on my trek to find the building for my Middlebury class on the history of the relations between France and Africa. I finally found it – kind of a tucked away building in a neat part of the 8th arrondissement. The class was all girls (many from Smith) and one guy (from Hamilton), and the professor seems really eager and interested in the subject, which is always a good sign. It sounds like it’s going to be a really interesting course!
After class, I spotted a church that I wanted to go look at down the street. So I wandered down and looked around – as always, extremely incredible. The only issue was finding my way back to a metro station…which after crossing about 39485 different streets, I did. And I took the metro back home to get ready for SWIMMING.
The Piscine Bromet is only about a 20 minute walk from my house. I showed up around 6 along with all of these kids with their parents. In order to join the team, one has to pass a “swim test”. I clarified that I was hoping to be in the group de “competition”, and did my swim test with a guy (who was about my age) named Jean-Bernard. He said that he would follow me for the first 100 free and he basically caught me, and then I told him to go for the 100 IM and then I caught him in the backstroke. The instructor said that we were both more than okay in the competition group. So I’m going tomorrow for my first practice! Yay! I’m very much looking forward to it.
I walked home after my “test” and had dinner with Marilu and Alain. We had seasoned pork chops (yum!) and green beans, and then cheese and some dessert! They were both headed out to a meeting, so I went and bought butter and made some cookies…last time for a while (so I told myself) with classes getting going and such! I’m planning on bringing them into class tomorrow.
Glad to find out that I do indeed have a break at the end of October for about 10 days which is very exciting! So I’m go ing to try and figure out what to do for that….
Photo of Monday:  Cluny/La Sorbonne Metro Station
Photo of Yesterday: The random church I wandered in after class....


A Tout a L’heure!

No comments:

Post a Comment