Friday, September 30, 2011

J'aime faire des patisseries!

Well I'm sitting on my bed watching Glee (unfortunately, it kind of turned into a little bit of a habit -- it's something comfortable...). I should head to bed soon because we have a rendez-vous at the Gare Montparnasse at 7:15am to head to the Loire Valley!

As the rhythm of life in Paris has picked up, I've realized how exhausting it is! Yesterday was fairly low key - I got a free lunch after filling out my worksheet from the Journees du Patrimoines (up to 8 euros), so Katie and I went to the same boulangerie that I went to on Tuesday. I got a delicious piece of salmon and spinach quiche (which has become one of my favorite French comfort foods -- but I'm afraid that's it's probably on that 'don't eat too much of it' list)....and then a small salad which was also superb!

The weather has been overly hot -- I'm so over the summer temperatures! It's been really difficult to sleep and I've resorted to wearing my running shorts and sneakers which is ridiculously un-French of me, I know. I'm hoping that by next week, it will start to cool off.

I finally got to sleep in this morning and headed to College Stanislas to "teach" the swim lesson -- some of the kids are really cute, but as one of the teacher's told me last week, the French don't put as much of an emphasis on learning how to swim as we do in the states! So it's pretty different than teaching lessons to the kids in Amherst.

We had a make-up class for theater this afternoon -- luckily, the professor let us meet outside in the courtyard of Reid Hall -- which was still ridiculously warm, but better than the stuffy classroom on the 3rd floor! We discussed the aspects of L'Avare that we saw on Tuesday and compared them to the text -- again, taking a break in the middle so that the professor could have a cigarette! Very different reasons behind the middle of class breaks here....

I've discovered that taking the crowded metro is infinitely better than taking a crowded bus, which I, unfortunately, decided to do this afternoon on the way home from class. It was about 8439204 degrees, and people kept getting on with strollers and other enormous shopping bags. Not cool. After what seemed like hours, I finally got to my stop.

Whether fortunately or unfortunately, the one thing that continues to get me relaxed is....baking! Woo! Tonight I tested out using the real baking soda instead of what I thought was baking soda, which did, indeed, make quite a difference! It's also fun to cut up multiple chocolate bars (all different kinds of course) and add them as I see fit...Tonight's cookies featured chunks of dark, milk, and white chocolate. Probably not the best night to skip swimming! Whoops!

Well I'm off to bed -- I'm sweating through my pajamas which isn't a good indicator, but I figure I'll try none the less.

Hopefully, I'll have some good pictures from a weekend away to post when I get back!

A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment