Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Finalement! Un changement de la temperature!

Apparently Mother Nature read my blog yesterday, because the temperature was much more agreeable today! It actually felt like fall -- which was wonderful. I just looked at the 10 day forcast, and it looks like the highest it's going to get is 72! How wonderful :)

Today was a fairly lowkey day -- but one that made me pretty happy to be in Paris. I woke up with the intentions of trying to find the pool that Marilu had told me about -- and yes, I did find it! But unfortunately, only to find out that it was closed due to chemical problems. So I headed back home and went out for a run -- which was ho hum, but I did end up getting kind of lost...which resulted in a 42 minute run + 30 minute walk...oops. Turns out my strategy for heading towards the Eiffel Tower doesn't work so well when you can't find it in the first place.

Anyways, I finally made my way home (after about 5 times around the Hotel des Invalides) and did about 10 minutes of abs while catching up on the BBC World News! I ate my breakfast and puttered around for a while -- I asked Marilu for the word for "to procrastinate" but now I'm failing to remember what she said it was...

My History of France and Africa class was meeting at the Porte Doree metro stop (in the 12th arr.) -- we went to the Musee d'Immigration which was where the colonial exposition was held in 1931 (basically France did displays of the cultures that were in the colonies that they held at that time) -- it was quite an impressive building, and they have a more current exhibit about immigrants on the top floor that we spent some time going through.

I took the metro to the Institut Catholique (sorry, Allan, I know I still owe you a picture) -- it turns out that our class changed classrooms for this week -- and all the American kids missed the memo. I had actually written it down in my planner, but then we had to find out where that new room was (across the street in another building). But the class (Economics of Development) is very interesting, and I think I was able to understand more this time than last week which is a good sign! I've decided to write my 15 page paper on the development of Nigeria's economy (don't ask me why exactly I picked Nigeria).

After the lovely 3-hour class, I headed home for dinner! Yum! Marilu had a bowl of cherry tomatoes -- which are seriously like candy. They're so sweet and juicy. Delicious. Then we had cheese ravioli with a sauce of some creme fraiche, olive oil, and mint! Which was an interesting combination but was really really good! I had some more of the compote de pommes for dessert -- which obviously, was wonderful.

Had a nice Skype session with my parents tonight (and no, not at the same time, but one after the other....), and continued to procrastinate (I'll ask her to remind of the French equivalent tomorrow).

Well off to bed for me! No matter how hard I try to get to bed before 11, it never quite happens that way...go figure.

Today's photo -- Pastel REALLY didn't want me to use my computer this morning. Or he was just jealous.

A bientot!

1 comment:

  1. So, given your pledge to speak only French while in France, do your parents mind Skyping you when they can't understand what you are saying? Just wondering . . .

    ReplyDelete