Monday, October 10, 2011

Mon nouveau facon favori de faire le "procrastination"...

So trying to stick to my goal of writing just about every night is great -- especially because it allows for some quality procrastination without feeling entirely guilty....

It's hard to remember a day that was actually truly difficult to wake up (very different than just not wanting to get up), but this morning was one of those mornings. The weekend sure did tucker me out! After lying in bed for about 10 minutes, I decided it would probably be smart to get up so I didn't fall back asleep by accident.
I got ready for the day -- which kind of felt like slow motion -- and only about 40 minutes after I had initially planned, got out the door.

I got to Reid Hall and started to study some more for my architecture quiz, but soon found out that my professor had had problems with his printer -- so the quiz is now next Monday! Lucky break to start off the week. Class was relatively uneventful, and after, I walked over to Institut Catholique (and I took a picture just for you, Allan!) to attempt to get a syllabus for each of my economics classes -- well naturally, the secretary is only there from 2pm to 6pm each day (but of course, never on Wednesdays). It being only about 1, I left to go to my favorite boulangerie to buy a salad for lunch -- chicken, lettuce, tomato, carrots, and corn! And a hunk of fresh baguette on the side. Yum yum.

AND -- here's my "the world is too small" story of the day -- as I turned around to walk out after paying, who should I see but Mari, my freshman year roommate from Amherst. I knew she was studying in Paris for the semester, but who would have thought that we would be at the same boulangerie in PARIS at the SAME TIME. So incredibly odd.

I took my lunch back to Catho (the abbr. for Institut Catholique) and ate in the courtyard -- which was some excellent people watching...And finally, when it reached 2pm, I headed back over to the economics' office where the secretary was running 10-15 minutes late, and when she finally did arrive, she told me that she couldn't give them to me right there and then, but that she would send them to Martine (which she has yet to do...). Oh well. Goes to show how different (or continues to show) the education systems are in France compared to those in the US. No email responses within 10 minutes of sending an email to a professor, no secretaries who are in their offices from 8am to 5pm, etc. I'm beginning to get used to it...kind of.

After my failed attempt at getting my syllabi, I walked back to Reid Hall -- which is only about a 15 minute walk away -- and did some work before my theater class at 4. We had to read a more contemporary play for class today -- La Pluie d'Ete by Marguerite Duras -- which was just very strange...It was nice to have a change of pace from Moliere, but I'm not sure I would say this was any easier to dissect or understand.

I took the metro to swimming after class, which is actually only about a 15-20 minute trip altogether. It wasn't too difficult of a practice, but it gave me a bit of a temporary boost of energy which quickly dissapated when I decided to walk home. Oops. I've decided that taking the metro home probably doesn't actually save me any time when all is said and done, it just keeps me out of the outdoors -- so I'll save that for the colder nights.

I had some leftover veggie quiche from Friday night along with some pureed celery (which was surprisingly delicious) for dinner, and then Marilu had made an apple cake (she's slowly making her way through the 2948390 tons of apples they brought back from Normandy) -- which was absolutely devine. Not super heavy or sweet, and the apples still had lots of flavor. Yum!

That's about it for today! It's nice to finally be in a rhythm of things, and I'm so very glad that that weather has started to cool off -- it makes everything much more enjoyable.

Photo of the day is, as I said before, of the Institut Catholique where I take my economics classes:

A bientot!

1 comment: